Packaging Girlhood, written by Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown, two board members of consumer advocacy group Shaping Youth, is about how “girlhood” has been co-opted by marketers. Packaging Girlhood guides parents through attempts to claim girls by marketers and the media. It shows parents the image of girls (sexy, diva, boy-crazy, shoppers) that’s being packaged and sold, pretty in pink. Authors write about how “girl power” has been co-opted by marketers of music, fashion, books, cartoons, TV shows, movies, toys, and more to mean the power to shop and attract boys, and how girls are encouraged to use their “voice” to choose accessorizing over academics, sex appeal over sports, and boyfriends over friends. The book exposes these stereotypes and the very limited choices presented of who girls are and what they can be. Lamb and Brown give advice to parents about how they can guide their daughters through these negative images without taking a “Just say no” perspective.
In chapters: What They Watch, What They Wear, What They Hear, What They Read, and What They Do, they examine the lives of girls from childhood, through the tween years and middle school, and on through adolescence. Their survey of over 600 girls told us to take a closer look at topics similar to that of this website.
I personally can’t wait to read it.
Amy Jussel, executive director of Shaping Youth, is offering 2 copies of Packaging Girlhood in support of The Girl Revolution. Jessel also wrote a very complimentary article about The Girl Revolution.
Leave a comment to win. Enter as many times as you like by spreading the word.
1. Twitter Me: @traceesioux and post the link to either a contest post OR a post from the archives and categories you appreciated. Follow me. Come back and leave a comment so I can keep track.
2. Facebook: Add me as your friend and post a link to either a contest post OR a post from the archives you appreciated. Come back and leave a comment so I’ll can keep track.
3. Blogroll: Change Empowering Girls: So Sioux Me links to The Girl Revolution links if I’m already in your blogroll or Add The Girl Revolution to your blogroll.
4. Leave a comment
5. Blog It. You get 1 entry in all 18 contests for any post announcing and linking to The Girl Revolution on your own site. Leave a link to the post.
6. Visit The Girl Revolution Store: Feel free to buy something. If you drop a link to your favorite item you’re entered to win.
7. The Girl Revolution Webazine: Sign up for the Webazine. Leave a comment saying you’re signed up on the prize you like best.
Enter as many times as you like – Just be sure to leave a comment saying what you did. I’ll be announcing prizes all week. Each contest will be announced 7 days after its posted. I’ll email winners directly and announce them in the The Girl Revolution Webazine.